I had an algebra teacher once that got on my last nerves she was a young woman married and pregnant who had an affair with being on time because she was always on time to the minute. She ran the classroom with a little intimidation because she was a stickler for time and she counted students absent when she called rolled and they happened to be asleep or not paying attention. It was hard for me to understand the concept of algebra and as fast as she taught it and as slow as I was to learn it I hated the class and her method of teaching it.
This teacher came from a well to do family and she was here teaching at a community college with a bunch of inner city students who didn’t care much for her or her style of teaching. Any excuses offered for why you couldn’t catch onto the algebra material didn’t matter catch on or move on. I didn’t learn much from this teacher she wasn’t good at explaining concepts all I did before I dropped the class was to zoom in on her big round pregnant stomach and become fixated on her baby toe that always hung out of her sandal as she walk to the front of the class back to the blackboard that teacher made me miserable. she was one of the worst teachers I can remember having.
One of my most memorable teachers was a black studies teacher I had a few years ago. She made learning a beautiful experience this teacher made me want to do research and find out about subjects I had never had an interest in. I was introduced to going to hear speakers such as Cornell West and Mayor Ron Dellums this teacher introduced me to black history and to history in a way which peaked my interest. This teacher was bright and interesting an intellectual and a down to earth person she had a personality and manner that was intriguing and stimulating I was like a sponge I soaked up all the information she gave me and I was changed as an individual and a student.
I learned that there was more to life than the box I was living in I was taught that the world would be my classroom and experiences in life would be my greatest teacher. This teacher was a motivator a positive influence and I loved being in her classroom she had my best interests at heart and proved it to me each and everyday I was in attendance in her classroom grades were important but what was more important was that I learned something and put forth my best efforts at learning what ever material I was given and I was graded according to doing the best I was able to do after hearing lectures, watching movies and covering reading material from books, research and whatever material was covered in class this was one of the best teachers I have had.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad to hear you were able to drop your math class before it got too bad! Someone that isn't accomodating at all to the students doesn't teach and should be able to re-evaluate their teaching based on scores. If the majority of the grades are not so good, it's probably because of the teaching style and lack of helping the students, not the fact that the students are stupid. I'm also glad you were able to find a teacher that taught you something you can take with you the rest of your life! Teachers that change the way you look at life are truly amazing.
Post a Comment